Recommended Applications

Subject: Recommended Applications
From: sanders_j -at- TBOSCH -dot- DNET -dot- GE -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 14:43:49 EDT

Hi All,

I'm in the interesting but unusual position of possibly starting on teh
ground floor of a company as the first Technical Writer they've ever
had. One of the first things they want to talk about is which software
package I would like to use for the documentation. I was wondering
what applications people would recommend, what's being used and what
the general prices look like.

Some parameters: speed is essential. These people are in an extreme
backlog situation, and need documentation NOW (doesn't everyone?). I
suspect I'll be using a higher-end PClone, but it could also be a
UNIX-workstation.

The documentation is for a combination of hardware and software sold
in a package, and I think the audience will be relatively advanced.

I want something that I can develop standards with, and carry through
changes to all the documents quickly and concisely. This is going to
be a one-me operation, and I want a package that will as much of the
leg-work by itself as possible. And judging from past experience in
operations like this, I want something that I can change the look of
quickly. (Master pages a must.)

Now, I'll admit two things. First, my information is sketchy as to the
exact requirements (so I may fling updates at everyone). I don't have
a really solid idea of the volume they're looking for, and I may not
have time to worry much about nice things like structure and appearence,
at least at first.

Second, I do already have a package in mind, but I wanted to see what
everyone else thought. I've been thinking FrameMaker, for a variety of
reasons, including the fact that I know it. So, if you have specific
comments on FrameMaker, please include them.

Sorry this got so long, but it's a real-world situation, with specific
parameters, so I thought I might be able to provide an interesting
topic for discussion, at the same time I got some valuable advice.

Thanks in advance everyone.

(And damn, I hate it when I forget to turn on the editor.)

-John Sanders-