Re: Recommended Applications

Subject: Re: Recommended Applications
From: sanders_j -at- TBOSCH -dot- DNET -dot- GE -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 11:55:12 EDT

Hi All,

I just wanted to clarify things using Mr. Fouts' letter to make my point.
Thanks, Mr. Fouts!

>Am I getting this straight? Is John Sanders going to buy a software system
>based on a popularity vote? Oh my.

Nope, not even close. I have used all the major DTP/TechComm software
platforms out there, at least glancingly. What I'm after is some real
use opinions that I haven't already got. I have used FrameMaker in a
day-to-day creative situation, one with tight deadlines similiar to the
situation I MIGHT be getting into soon. I interact everyday here with
people using Interleaf, and I coordinate some projects that up til real
recently have been done on PageMaker. I have some idea of what these
packages are capable of and not capable of.

The reason I asked for more
information is I want to be able to recommend several packages for
review, and possibly one to start off with. I also wanted to see what
people like out there, and if there was something else I should consider
trying out first, or if there are features I should be looking for now.

I believe the popularity vote is FYI, not mine. I get all the messages,
both on-list and off-list, and review them carefully. At the moment,
not everyone has responded, so I haven't sent out the full file, just
the flash-vote. I don't have anything against electronic plebiscite
per se, but you're right, I certainly won't use it as my one and only
criteria for something that really involves a lot of factors.

Thanks again, everyone...

-John Sanders-