Re: one-person dept.

Subject: Re: one-person dept.
From: "Kelly K. Hoffman" <hoffman -at- LOGICRAFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 11:05:23 -0500

Maria Townsley <uupsi5!MSD.MEASUREX.COM!maria> asks:

>Purely out of curiosity... Besides me, how many overworked one-person
>departments are out there?

Add me to the list of one-person departments. My work load is somewhat
heavy, but I don't think it's excessive, unlike a few who have responded!

Being a one-person dept does have some significant advantages. I may get
the blame when I screw up, but I also get the praise when I do things
right. I also like the variety and flexibility of "wearing many hats" (I
used to list my job title as "hat rack" :-).

Of course, my schedule is relatively light right now. If this topic had
come in a few weeks ago when I was frantically trying to meet a deadline, I
might have responded differently. <half smile>

Tamye Lyles <uupsi5!VX740.DNET.NASA.GOV!tjl743c> writes:

>it gets really lonely because I begin to feel
>like I'm totally isolated on a desert island because I'm the ONLY one here
>who has a pubs background.

This is the real downside to being a one-person department. That's why this
list is so helpful.

-- Kelly
Kelly K. Hoffman Logicraft "Reading the manual
Technical Writer 22 Cotton Road is admitting
hoffman -at- logicraft -dot- com Nashua, NH 03063 defeat."