Re[2]: one-person dept.

Subject: Re[2]: one-person dept.
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 11:33:46 CDT

Hi all,
I have to respond to this discussion about one-person
shops. Until a couple of weeks ago, when I hired a
part-time technical communicator, I was the only one in
my group. While there are many times when it would have
been nice to have had help, advice, or someone to
commiserate with about the work, I think the advantages
of working as the only technical communicator FAR
outweigh the disadvantages.

Several people in the tech comm program here at
Oklahoma State have asked me about my experiences and
what I thought about some aspect of their job search. I
always volunteer that people should seek a position as
the only tech communicator, or one of only a couple, in
a company. Of course, then the burden of keeping up
with the field and getting objective, practiced
opinions about your decisions becomes greater, but that
is what STC Chapters are there for.

Working as the only tech comm, you have to make the
decisions, clean up your messes, and learn about all
facets of the job quickly. However, the school of hard
knocks gives far more effective instruction than the
most well-intentioned advice or comments from people
who know. As several people on the list have noted
recently, writing and editing skills are only a
relatively small sub-set of the skills technical
communicators have to have. On the job experience is
the only way to get the other skills, and it appears
that one-person departments provide more experience
faster than more traditional settings.

What do those of you who didn't start in this sort of
environment think about that? Obviously none of us
started in both environments...what does it look like
from the other side of the street?

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

BTW, the TECHWR-L list started because I was tired of
being the only person here and I wanted to get feedback
and opinions without waiting for the next STC meeting.
The desert island syndrome can be a real problem,
although it also happens in environments with several
technical communicators in which some of the technical
communicators don't have a certain degree of
professionalism.
Eric

Subject: Re: one-person dept.
Author: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues"
Date: 9/24/93 10:28 AM

>Purely out of curiosity... Besides me, how many overworked one-person
>departments are out there?

Add me to the list of one-person departments. My work load is somewhat
heavy, but I don't think it's excessive, unlike a few who have responded!

Being a one-person dept does have some significant advantages. I may get
the blame when I screw up, but I also get the praise when I do things
right. I also like the variety and flexibility of "wearing many hats" (I
used to list my job title as "hat rack" :-).

Of course, my schedule is relatively light right now. If this topic had
come in a few weeks ago when I was frantically trying to meet a deadline, I
might have responded differently. <half smile>

Tamye Lyles <uupsi5!VX740.DNET.NASA.GOV!tjl743c> writes:

>it gets really lonely because I begin to feel
>like I'm totally isolated on a desert island because I'm the ONLY one here
>who has a pubs background.

This is the real downside to being a one-person department. That's why this
list is so helpful.

-- Kelly
Kelly K. Hoffman Logicraft "Reading the manual
Technical Writer 22 Cotton Road is admitting
hoffman -at- logicraft -dot- com Nashua, NH 03063 defeat."