Grammar and Style Checkers

Subject: Grammar and Style Checkers
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 08:35:19 PDT

My favorite grammar checker is Grammatik 5, mostly because it's such a flexible
tool to use. You can set it to check for different levels of style, based on
the use of the document (journalistic article, technical document, business let
ter, etc.) and you can choose what spelling, grammatical and stylistic errors
Grammatik will search for. For example, if I get annoyed at Grammatik for
flagging every use of "be" as a passive verb, I can just go in and turn that
checker off. I can also add on checks that will catch me when I fall into one
of my bad habits, like using dangling modifiers.

I've been a professional writer for eight years now, and I still try to run my
writing through a grammar checker just to make sure I'm not getting sloppy.

Anatole Wilson
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs
All disclaimers about views not representing
IBM apply.