Re: STC Chapter at Drexel University

Subject: Re: STC Chapter at Drexel University
From: Andrea Alvarado <andrea -at- WORF -dot- RATIONAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 20:52:19 GMT

In article <9309300028 -dot- AA21307 -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu>, fretz
<tscom002 -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu> writes:
> My understanding from my Professor, Eva Thury, is that
> there is a chapter at Drexel, but it is currently inactive. Please advise
> of any interaction you have had in the past with this group so that I may
> further inquire here.

I co-founded the Philadelphia Student Chapter of STC with Amy Longshore
when we were graduate students in Drexel's program. The chapter was
meant to include the University of Delaware, Temple University, and
other area colleges and universities.

My understanding is that the chapter no longer exists. I believe it
was dissolved by the STC Board for inactivity some time in 1991 or
1992. (It was in operation from early 1990 through mid-to-late 1991.)

The chapter had problems remaining active after Amy and I graduated/
moved on to internships. There were a couple of people who were trying
to keep things together, but there was too much work to do.

The greatest challenge for a student chapter is to compensate for
the huge turnover rate. Undergraduates may spend 2-3 years (best case,
4 years) in the chapter, and full-time graduate students may only
spend a few months to a year. Graduate students who are NOT full time
are probably going to find the Delaware Valley Chapter better able to
meet their professional needs.

Annette Reilly was the Director-Sponsor of the region when we founded
the Philadelphia Student Chapter. She was also on the board when it
was dissolved. She would be the best person to discuss your plans
with. She will have an objective point of view about the process we
went through and the challenges we faced.

I would also get in touch with the Board of the Delaware Valley Chapter.
Their support could make or break a student chapter in that area. If you
have their support, it will probably mean a longer life for a student
chapter.

An alternative to starting a whole new chapter would be to create a
unique situation with the Delaware Valley Chapter. For example, propose
the idea of a Student Liaison. Have a mini student meeting before each
regular chapter meeting. Put out a student newsletter. Petition the
DVC Board for one or two student-related-topic dinner meetings. Start
an internship bureau (canvas regular members at dinner meetings for
information about their company's internship opportunities; keep track
of internships--who wants one, who has one; educate companies about
the BEST ways to administer an internship program within their company--
so they get the most out of it and so the intern gets the most out of
it, etc.). I think with a little creativity, you and DVC could work out
some mutually beneficial programs, projects, etc.

Good luck! I've always thought that Drexel and the other area colleges
and universities could benefit from greater student participation in STC!

Andrea

Andrea Ames Alvarado Rational andrea -at- rational -dot- com
Technical Writer 3320 Scott Blvd. (408)496-3897
Design Support Tools Santa Clara, CA 95054 FAX:(408)496-3636
Manager, Public Relations Committee, Silicon Valley Chapter
Society for Technical Communication