From: Janie Bergen <BERGEN -at- UNTVAX -dot- BITNET>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1993 23:21:09 -0500

Regarding the E-mail/email/etc. thread....
As a new technical writer I've found most style guides to be insufficient
when it comes to computer terminology. Since many technical writers
are employed by computer companies to write software and hardwaare
manuals, why are there no style guides for technical writing?

At the company I worked for (until last week :-( ) we had problems
with on-line vs. online, Token-ring vs Token-Ring vs. token-ring, and
a host of other terms. Usually we sought the manufacturer's documents
for product standards, but even these documents were not standard. We
had a few computer dictionaries, but they also used different spellings.
Finally, we just had to make a decision and stick to it. I hope that
someday someone somewhere will write a style guide that we can all
live with.

As for those of you who use style guides (not the in-house kind), what
do you use? Chicago Manual of Style? Others? I'd really like to know.
If you answer, please state the kinds of writing you do.


Janie Bergen

Previous by Author: help on writing-editing work flow
Next by Author: Re: reference search
Previous by Thread: email,e-mail,Email,E-mail
Next by Thread: Re: COMPUTER WORDS

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads