PIC Clarification

Subject: PIC Clarification
From: Ron Hart <rhart -at- RELITO -dot- MEDENG -dot- WFU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 08:45:09 EDT

To all, good morning, day or evening

To Kim Ballard and to all of you, I regret not including more
information. In my enthusiasm for spreading the word about the
Advanced Technology Professional Interest Committee (PIC), I broke
several rules of common etiquette. My first mistake and most
important is the need to thank Eric Ray in the strongest terms for
his desire to see people communicate ideas. My sincere thanks and
apologies for not making this clear.

Secondly, I forgot the basic rule of identifying an acronym when
it is first used in a document or message. The Professional Interest
Committees (Advanced Technology, Consulting and Independent Contracting,
Education and Research, Environmental, Safety, and Health Communication,
International Technical Communication, Quality, Scientific Communication
and Usability) are groups of STC (Society for Technical Communication)
members whose common experiences and special interests bring them together
to share their skills and knowledge among themselves and other STC members.

The Advanced Technology PIC attempts to bring knowledgeable members
together with those seeking information. The ability to communicate ideas
and share solutions is readily apparent to the users of this Listserv,
thanks again in no small part to Eric Ray's efforts. The Advanced Technology
PIC is going to be reevaluating its role to its members and for that reason
we frequently ask what our members want.

The newsletter, "The Edge", is new and will be published for the first time
in late November of this year. It will contain articles on technology from
our members and, from time to time, guest authors. It will contain a Letters
to the Editor section, a reference list of books and articles that are
considered suggested reading. It will also contain information about upcoming
STC Events that include discussions on technology.

I hope this helps those of you interested in the PICs and again my deepest
gratitude goes out to Eric Ray for the forethought to have a platform from
which I can inform you. Although this is not an "official" STC Listserv it
is a valuable asset to those using it.

Ron Hart 5350 Carillon Drive
Hart and Associates, Inc. Pfafftown, North Carolina
Manager, STC Advanced Technology PIC 27040-9746
rhart -at- relito -dot- medeng -dot- wfu -dot- edu (919) 924-0404

"It is a commonplace of modern technology that problems have solutions
before there is knowledge of how they are to be solved."
John Kenneth Galbraith
The New Industrial State