Charges for Reproducing Manuals

Subject: Charges for Reproducing Manuals
From: Ron Hart <rhart -at- RELITO -dot- MEDENG -dot- WFU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 18:16:22 EDT

Need some help!

The following posting is from Chris Beck of Racal-Datacom, Inc. and also
a member of STC. She doesn't have access to the LISTSERV so I am posting
it for her. You can direct responses to me and I will pass them along or
you can communicate with Chris direct at address or telephone numbers at
the end of her posting...thanks
POSTING

I am a Manager of a technical wiring department for a data communications
company. I have recently received requests from our customers to provide
our manuals in a form that they can produce their own copies. Customers
are asking these questions:

What is the cost of a camera ready copy?

What is the cost of an electronic copy (floppy diskette)?

Is there a license fee if they make their own copies?

Is there a royalty fee if they make their own copies?

Is there a maintenance fee for updated copies?

Our company would like to set up some guidelines for answering these
questions. I would like to know if other companies have set up such
guidelines and on what basis charges are based on (e.g., cost of
hard-copy manuals; print quantity; etc.). Does anyone have samples
of agreements that I can evaluate i.e., license fee agreements, royalty
fee agreements, or ongoing maintenance fee agreements. Please HELP.

Send responses to me at:

Racal-Datacom, Inc.
Attn: Chris Beck - Manager, Technical Documentation
1601 N. Harrison Parkway
Sunrise, FL 33323-2899
(305) 846-6774 or FAX (305) 846-3935

or to Ron Hart who promised to forward them to me

Thank you

Ron Hart 5350 Carillon Drive
Hart and Associates, Inc. Pfafftown, North Carolina
Manager, STC Advanced Technology PIC 27040-9746
rhart -at- relito -dot- medeng -dot- wfu -dot- edu (919) 924-0404

"It is a commonplace of modern technology that problems have solutions
before there is knowledge of how they are to be solved."
John Kenneth Galbraith
The New Industrial State