Re: English to Japanese translation

Subject: Re: English to Japanese translation
From: Popowicz Alison <popowicz -at- SAPPEY -dot- GRENOBLE -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 08:08:07 +0100

In message <9310072056 -dot- AA16158 -at- hplb -dot- hpl -dot- hp -dot- com> you write:
> Hey everyone!

> I need information and advice about English to Japanese translation

> What should I look out for on my end? Granted, I always strive for
> idiomatic-free language, but what are some other tips?

Hello Paula,

One thing that is really useful to the translator is a "Glossary" of all
the terminology used in the manual. The glossary should not only include
a plain-English definition of every term that could be considered as jargon
to anyone who is not an expert in the product, but also definitions for
ambiguous words. If you remember that the traslator is an expert in
translating English to Japanese but does not necessarily know anything
about your product, then you'll know which words and phrases to include.

Also make sure (I'm sure you do anyway!?!) that you are consistent in the
terminology used in the manual. For example, don't call a window a screen
on one page of the manual and a window on the next. It may be obvious
to English readers, but it can be very confusing for non-native English
readers.

What else? ... If your product is very technical, and there is an English
technical dictionary available, give/lend a copy to your translator.
... Be aware that the translated text will probably take up more room than
the English text, and that the page layout will have to change - restricting
the translators to the same layout imposes extra difficulties.
And expect lots of phone calls!

Sorry I have no experiencs of translation packages...

Alison in Grenoble