Re: Q: Converting Word Doc to ASCII for E-Mailing

Subject: Re: Q: Converting Word Doc to ASCII for E-Mailing
From: Peter Kasaty <kasaty -at- CRASH -dot- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1993 19:01:55 PDT

Debbie N. (debbien.llnl.gov) wrote:
: I have a document that is formatted in Word (rather elaborately). The
: information needs to be converted to ASCII and e-mailed to various places.
: Currently, the document is typed with only hypens and caps for formatting
: and then e-mailed. It is then formatted in Word for a nice looking printed
: copy.

: Has anyone devised an easier/quicker way to do this?

: Any help would be much approciated.

: debbien -at- llnl -dot- gov

--

Hi Debbie,

[I tried e-mailing you a response but it bounced.]

I haven't tried this but I would assume saving the file in Word as an
"*.rtf" rtf = rich text format (NOT "rft", which is some IBM file format)
would work. This is a format choice on Word's "save as" menu. "rtf"
appears to use only ascii characters, somewhat in the way of unix's
troff to indicate file formatting in addition to text. (I seem to
understand your question differently from what somewhat else posted.
I hope one of us got it right. :-) )

If this works, let me know (if you get a chance).

I go back and forth from Word for Windows to Word on the Mac and this
has been the best method (through Apple File Exchange), though I
haven't looked at all of the newer products now available. Some things
were lost, e.g., bullets in bulleted lists and automatic page numbering,
but such things as tables, fonts, etc., survived. (Of course, this is
NOT the same thing as what you asked about.)

Best of luck!

-- Peter Kasaty kasaty -at- ctsnet -dot- cts -dot- com