Re: Q: Converting Word Doc to ASCII for E-Mailing

Subject: Re: Q: Converting Word Doc to ASCII for E-Mailing
From: "Debbie N." <debbien -at- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 21:18:09 GMT

In article <1993Oct23 -dot- 190155 -dot- 4304 -at- crash>, kasaty -at- crash -dot- cts -dot- com (Peter
Kasaty) wrote:
> I haven't tried this but I would assume saving the file in Word as an
> "*.rtf" rtf = rich text format (NOT "rft", which is some IBM file format)
> would work. This is a format choice on Word's "save as" menu. "rtf"
> appears to use only ascii characters, somewhat in the way of unix's
> troff to indicate file formatting in addition to text. (I seem to
> understand your question differently from what somewhat else posted.
> I hope one of us got it right. :-) )
> -- Peter Kasaty kasaty -at- ctsnet -dot- cts -dot- com

Well... A couple other kind souls e-mailed me a response to try RTF. Yes,
it does convert EVERYTHING to ascii. If I were e-mailing the doc to
someone who would use Word to view the doc, this solution would be ok.
However, what I really need is something to convert the formatted Word doc
(with side by side headings, tables, indents, word wrap, etc.) into an
online doc. That is, something that could be read as is (and looks decent)
in the e-mail program.

Thanks again.

debbien -at- llnl -dot- gov