Re: Video Tapes/Briding Industry & Academia

Subject: Re: Video Tapes/Briding Industry & Academia
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 10:13:58 PDT

Stuart-

You (and others who expressed enthusiam about viewing tapes of
meetings) should be aware that a videotape of a live presentation
is very little like either the actual presentation or a video
presentation. I have worked as a trainer and videotaped my own
and others' presentations. Often, a presentation that was very
effective and engaged the attendees just doesn't make it on video.
Remember that the presenter is interacting with the audience and
presenting to them. A skilled video presenter is doing something
very different. We are all used to seeing effective video on
broadcast and cable TV and in other video presentations. If you
expect the same from a videotaped meeting, you may well be
disappointed.

Nevertheless, videotape can be an effective way to capture the
content of a live presentation and is useful as such.

-Fred

PS- When Ted Nelson spoke to BayCHI, his team used two cameras to
tape his talk. (He also strode about, ranting and raving, so
it probably made for a decent tape.) -F
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 526-3292 FAX: (408) 526-3055
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 3131 Zanker Road / San Jose CA 95134