Re: On-line vs. online

Subject: Re: On-line vs. online
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 11:00:40 PDT

Beth-

If you think it's an authority, the IBM Dictionary of Computing
uses "online" (and "offline"). It is also the preferred spelling
in our company internal usage and style guide. The older computing
dictionaries and glossaries I checked have "on-line." I agree with
Chuck that this has become common enough for the hyphen to be dropped.

-Fred
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 526-3292 FAX: (408) 526-3055
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 3131 Zanker Road / San Jose CA 95134