templates

Subject: templates
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 07:19:52 PDT

Although I do agree that templates for documents (and possibly for online
information) are useful, I worry about their rigidity. I don't think
anyone would argue that the ultimate format has been designed for anything.
Personally, I'm a little leery of any company that says "here is our format--
it works. There will be no deviations."

So I was just wondering if those of you out there who are using templates
have built in a review process on say, an annual or by-project basis, that
ensures all these pre-formatted documents are as good, efficient, useful as
they can be. What kinds of policies *can* you put into place to be sure
a company's documents don't become too rigid or inefficient?

Anatole Wilson
Sr. Associate Information Designer
IBM, Santa Teresa Division

Disclaimer: I've never worked at a company whose formats were too rigid,
but I've interviewed with several whose formats were etched in stone. Brrrr.