dress codes

Subject: dress codes
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 09:11:08 PDT

Although I can't cite the studies myself, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ran
some articles two years ago that cited studies on dress codes, showing that
a casual dress code actually improved productivity, especially between
departments and different levels of management. People seem to feel more
comfortable dealing with each other when the quality of the suit doesn't
define the employee's status.

Having worked in both environments myself, I've found that dress codes are an
annoying distraction, because of the extra care you have to take to keep
your clothes looking good and because you know everyone around you is
judging you on appearance as much as by the work you do.

And here I am, working happily for *IBM* in jeans and a T-shirt. And when
I'm not posting to Techwr-l, I'm being *very* productive.

So back to work!
Anatole Wilson
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs