Re: Q: Word vs. Frame

Subject: Re: Q: Word vs. Frame
From: "Chuck Petch, Editor" <PETCH -at- GVG47 -dot- GVG -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 09:11:07 -0700

Katie, for long, complex documents with many figures and tables, FrameMaker is
unbeatable because it provides automatic figure and table numbering. Insert a
new figure in the middle of the document? No problem; all figure numbers will
update automatically. Frame provides many other automated features as well that
make it ideal for long documents. Also, Frame's built-in word processing is
approximately equal to Word, so you would not be giving up anything in that
regard.

The only drawback to Frame is its complexity. It takes a while to get fully up
to speed on its many high-powered capabilities. For documents that have few
figures or tables and which have simple layouts, it may be overkill. On the
other hand, if you acquire and learn to use Frame, you are poised for the
future if the opportunity arises to do more sophisticated documents.

As for output from Frame to WordPerfect, I'm not really sure what the
possibilities are. Frame will output an ASCII text file, but you would lose the
formatting of headings etc. I guess the question is, will WordPerfect import a
fully-formatted Frame file? Sorry but I don't have an answer for that one.

Chuck Petch, | "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them
Technical Editor | as much as you please." -Mark Twain