Re: technical writing vs. marketing writing

Subject: Re: technical writing vs. marketing writing
From: Alun Whittaker <alun -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 10:48:48 PST

I may have misunderstood you, Alun, but what you *appear* to be doing is
making a distinction between technical writing--which is correct and useful
to the customer--and marketing writing, which is, if not deceitful, at least
misleading or "insincere."

First, I must apologize for my sense of humor. It seems that everything I
read here is so serious and intense (what we, in the auld sod used to
refer to as "poe-faced") that I feel the need to add a wise crack to
send up even my own comments. I'll try to control myself in future but
you really should try to lighten up, folks!

Next, cynical aside notwithstanding, I was pointing out that the secret
of good writing -- whether it is written to entertain, to teach or to
sell -- is commitment. If the writer doesn't believe in what she/he/they/it
is writing about then the reader will not be "reached" and will not care
either!

Good writing about a good product, communicates its superior functionality
and help sell it to the potential user. I once wrote a set of technical
manuals which the Marketing Department reprinted and distributed because
they said the manuals sold the product better than the brochures
produced by a slick, uncommited advertising agency.

ALUN W...