Re: TQM-Is it a fad?

Subject: Re: TQM-Is it a fad?
From: Linda Wolf <tscom010 -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 15:31:38 EST

Not having the extensive experience with TQM methods of Karen Steele, I
would still like to agree that TQM is not a fad. I recently came on board
at a company that in the last two years has dedicated itself to the TQM
mission. I, like the other 80,000 employees of this company, went through
a four-day training on TQM principles. I was impressed by statements from
upper management leading the sessions to the effect that American companies
*must* implement these principles to survive the global market.

It is TQM's focus on the customer's needs that distinguish it from the
status quo. I also absolutely agree with skeptics who say TQM's success
depends on commitment from upper management. The other fascinating thing
about TQM is that it encourages employee participation, recognizing that
everyone wants to feel important and valued, not just a cog in a wheel.
Yes, there are both success and failure stories. My favorite success story
is the Saturn car company. The cars are built by teams of employees who
know everything about the car and whose ideas are not only valued but
implemented in the process. It sounds like a wonderful way to work. And
judging by the high standards of service they provide to car owners (yes, I
own one), their methods are working.

Sincerely,
Linda Wolf
Drexel University

tscom010 -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu