Re[2]: Most Important Programs to Learn

Subject: Re[2]: Most Important Programs to Learn
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 17:59:00 EST

Karen asks:
"I know that you were arguing against employers looking
for specific programs, but the fact is that they DO look
for specific programs, and it would cost a fortune to
learn them all. Any practical suggestions?"

Most community colleges offer courses in specific programs
such as Ventura or Pagemaker. You may not learn on the
most recent package, but you will gain familiarity with
the product and be able to include it on your resume.

Another option, at least here in San Diego, is the
Learning Annex, a company that provides short seminars on
specific subjects (e.g., Ventura, Framemaker).

Another option is joining the local users group for
whatever product (usually cheap, and you can usually find
someone there who will let you come play on their system
-- if you were in San Diego, I'd let you come over and
play with Ventura, Pagemaker, or Quark, all of which I
have).

Hope that helps. I'm sure there are more, but those are
all that come to mind now, and it's six o'clock, and I
want to go home!

Bonni Graham | ASCII, n. A tiny tribe of
Technical Writer | Barbarians that achieved its
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | place in history by sacking
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | the Roman alphabet. The
President, San Diego STC | Ascii were eventually de-
| feated by their enemies,
NOTE: apparently my email address needs | the Gothics, the Uncials,
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | and the Italics.
punctuation and all, or the system gets |
upset. | --Ezra Shapiro