Re: Most Important Programs to Learn

Subject: Re: Most Important Programs to Learn
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 16:48:12 PST

Bonni Graham said:
> Unfortunately, most companies DO require certain packages. I'd recommend
> looking in the want ads for your area or for particular jobs that you really
> want -- what are they asking for? Go learn those.

This pushes buttons for ME as a technical writer wannabe
trying to get some skills together. It's easy to say "Go learn
the programs people are looking for." But these programs are
EXPENSIVE for someone to go out and buy on their own. I know
WordPerfect really well, Word not well, and Framemaker least
well. But that's already close to a $1000 worth of software.
On the other hand, I feel that sort of knowing these three
programs (plus xedit, emacs, and various Japanese wordprocessors)
would make learning a new program a relatively minor task.
Right now I don't have the money to plunk down for Ventura or
CorelDraw, and this makes the prospect of looking for a job
in January look pretty grim.

I know that you were arguing against employers looking for
specific programs, but the fact is that they DO look for
specific programs, and it would cost a fortune to learn
them all. Any practical suggestions?

I guess I could buy the software, copy it, and then return
it. But that is awfully sleazy.

Karen Kay
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com