Re: Most Important Programs to Learn

Subject: Re: Most Important Programs to Learn
From: Stefan Fielding-Isaacs <sfi -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 16:59:41 PST

:: Karen writes of the difficulty of acquiring programs required
:: for technical writing.

Karen,

I note that you're connected to netcom. If you're in the Bay Area
I suggest that you contact Media Access/Computer Alliance at Fort
Mason Center and become a member. They have a Macintosh lab with
a _lot_ of software on hand that you can learn on. I believe it
runs about $6/hr. A worthwhile investment if you're looking to
become a technical writer.

Alternatively, if you can try outfits like Top Copy (10th and
Market streets in the City) which will rent you time on a variety
of machines (from as little as $7/hr to $20/hr depending on the
hardware). They have all kinds of printing resources and every
font you would ever want. They let you bring in food and work
there and have a phone for local calls. A home away from home
to many designers.

If you're not in San Francisco I suggest that you try and find
a self-service service bureau. You can get time on their machines
for reasonable prices (cf. above reference) and do your learning
at a reasonable cost.

I think we all agree that FrameMaker is over-priced. Do what I
did. Go out and buy and ancient version for $50. Then buy the
upgrade from Frame Technology to the latest version. You'll save
a ton of money and you won't feel guilty at night.. :->

cheers,
Stefan

Art & Science
Technical Writing and Press Management Services
facsimile: 415.822.5654
vox/pager: 415.599.4876