Re: Usability -- page numbering

Subject: Re: Usability -- page numbering
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 17:08:06 EST

Maria Townsley <maria -at- MSD -dot- MEASUREX -dot- COM> writes:

> If you ever plan to revise your document, you better use
> 1-1, 1-2 ...
> 2-1, 2-2 ...

Umm, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Why
would it be any easier to revise a document with 1-1, 2-1 style
page numbers than one with sequential page numbers?

Even if you plan to do an update kit (where the user needs to
insert new pages and replace old ones), you can always use
page numbers like 23a, 23b, 23c, etc.

(IMO, update kits are an abomination, but that's fodder for another
thread.)

> Anyone who doesn't design a manual with future revisions in mind
> is a fool.

I agree, but I don't see how that argues for one type of
page number over another.

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH 03062 admitting defeat."