Re: "I, User" (re numbering schemes)

Subject: Re: "I, User" (re numbering schemes)
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 16:03:58 PST

I've been riding herd on several large manuals for over a year now, and
I still get thrown off track almost every time I have to decode a page
number like 22-14 -- to figure out which is the page number and which is
the chapter. I keep thinking it's just me, but . . .

I think maybe I'd like to replace "Page 22-14" at the top of the page
with "Chapter 22, page 14." Seems kind of long, though.

Arthur Comings
GeoQuest
Corte Madera, CA

> Alexandra Bernstein wrote:

> > as a manual user, I find sequential page numbers much simpler to
> > deal with than chapter-by-chapter numbers
> >
> > imho

> It's good to see someone speaking up on behalf of the _users_.
> We've had adequate discussion of why compound page numbering is convenient
> for the _publishers_ (updating pages, for example). As a tech writer,
> however, I am a User's Advocate. Therefore, I get meaner than a junkyard
> dog at the first sniff of a "convenience" or "progress" issue UNLESS IT
> ADDS TO THE USER'S CONVENIENCE (be it compound page numbering or electronic
> document distribution). I don't write for my company; I write for the
> users of my company's products.

> However, I would have said the exact opposite of Alexandra! Compound page
> numbering is a natural outgrowth of information engineering. Why do we
> have chapters at all? Why headers and footers? Why do we use numbers for
> chapters, but letters for appendices? Why do we have page numbers at all?

> To help convey information effectively, that's why.

> Signposts.

> As Paul Goble submitted,

> > IMHO, the page numbering method (per se) is unimportant for readers.
> > What IS important is that every page is clearly labelled with the
> > chapter number, chapter name, and section name.

> Anybody disagree with that?

> Now, with my "User" hat on, if I'm reading a complex technical document,
> I want as many signposts as possible to help me navigate. I probably
> don't read a manual cover-to-cover, from front to back. If I buy a home
> carpentry book to learn how to install insulation, I may never crack
> either the introduction or the chapter about paperhanging. Pages 1 - 15,
> 145 - 236, and 275 - 320 are irrelevant. Simple sequential page numbers are i
rr