Gender-biased language

Subject: Gender-biased language
From: Barbara Shwom <bshwom -at- NWU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1993 19:03:06 GMT

Students in my technical writing class posed a question that I can't
answer:

Is the injunction against using gender-biased language in technical writing
an American phenomenon or is it prevalent in other countries? What about in
other languages? Do technical writers in French, Spanish, or German (and
other languages in which nouns have genders) worry about eliminating
gender-specific references to people? If so, what techniques do they use?

If anyone has any experience or knowledge on these issues, we'd be
interested in hearin it.

--
Barbara Shwom
Northwestern University