FWD: SMTP delivery error

Subject: FWD: SMTP delivery error
From: Charles Sides <csides -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1993 13:27:41 EST

From: MX%"Postmaster -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU" 29-NOV-1993 12:35:03.80
To: CSIDES
Subj: SMTP delivery error

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1993 12:34:50 EST
From: SMTP delivery agent <Postmaster -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU>
To: <csides -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU>
Subject: SMTP delivery error

Note: this message was generated automatically.

A problem occurred during SMTP delivery of your message.

Error occurred sending to the following user(s):
%MX-F-RETRYEXCD, retry count exceeded
-MX-F-NOHOST, no such host

Message follows.

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1993 11:31:34 EST
From: csides -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU
To: TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- oks
Subject: interactive multimedia

Here at Fitchburg State College, in the Communications/Media Department, we
have a major concentration in interactive multimedia, along with majors in
technical communications, film and television production, photography, and
graphics design. At present, the interactive multimedia major is heavily
based on video production courses (studio production, electronic field
production, etc.).

My sense is that this is not the direction the multimedia industry is heading,
and as a result I am interested in having our department redesign this major.
I am assuming that the multimedia field, if it reaps even a fraction of the
success most media are predicting for it, will mature and provide opportunities
for professionals who can design/conceptualize products and projects. These
persons will be generalists of sorts, with a clear understanding of the entire
multimedia process. But they will hire out most of the technical tasks--
computer graphics, video production, audio production. In short, I anticipate
multimedia to mature in much the same way technical communications has,
where now technical writers find themselves coordinating a lot of the
auxiliary tasks involved in creating documents: layout, graphics, editing,
publication, etc.

What I am looking for is feedback. If you are in the "real world," does
your company involve itself with multimedia? What tasks are involved?
How are your projects configured? In other words, are my assumptions
accurate or am I wildly off-base? Maybe it's too soon to tell.

If you are in academia, does your college have a program in interactive
multimedia communications? Does it have courses? What are they?

I have already conducted a paper survey of colleges in the U.S., and I am
evaluating the results. I wanted to augment those results with information
received through the internet. That's where you can help.

Eventually, this will be an article which I will be more than happy to
supply to anyone who is interested.

Thanks.

Charles Sides (csides -at- fscvax -dot- fsc -dot- mass -dot- edu)
Chair, Department of Communications/Media
Fitchburg State College
Fitchburg, MA 01420