Re: Character names (Was: Re: Indicating multilevel picks in menus)

Subject: Re: Character names (Was: Re: Indicating multilevel picks in menus)
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1993 23:17:18 GMT

> * - splat; star

"Star" seems to be the usual usage; if not, voicemail systems
will soon make it a fait accompli. Of course, there is a
good mnemonic for its real name:

Little Mary put on skates
Upon thin ice to frisk.
Wasn't she a foolish girl,
Her little *?

It just doesn't work as well with "star."

Cheers,

Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"
"Liberals tend to abuse power to save us from ourselves; conservatives
tend to abuse power to save us from the bogeyman-du-jour. The're both
willing to enslave or impoverish us to save us, whether we think we need
to be "saved" or not." [Steve Gombosi]