Re: Defining Purpose and Audience

Subject: Re: Defining Purpose and Audience
From: "Chuck Petch, Editor" <PETCH -at- GVG47 -dot- GVG -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1993 16:31:01 -0700

LaVonna, we define our audience in a number of ways: customer visits,
customer phone calls, input from sales and marketing, and examining
competitors' manuals. The important questions for us are who are the users of
the
product, what level of education are they likely to have, and what level of
technical knowledge are they likely to have? In reality, we have a customer
base that we know pretty well because of years of interacting with them, so
we seldom do any formal audience analysis anymore, but when we do, the above
procedures are the ones we use.

Chuck Petch