EPS--Q&A

Subject: EPS--Q&A
From: Tracey Showalter <tshowalt -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 10:03:12 -0500

EPS--Q&A

[this is a bit long]

Margaret Redding wrote:

>Could anyone describe what is meant by encapsulated PostScript?

here goes:

from Glenn C. Reid, _Thinking in PostScript_, Addison-Wesley, 1990, pp 43-45.

-----------
Encapsulated PostScript files (EPS files) are illustrations or other
self-contained programs that can be included into another document.
They are restricted in a few ways to keep them from disturbing the
environment in which they are included, but generally can use the
entire expressive power of the PostScript language.

(example of program and its result deleted)

.... the code in an Encapsulated PostScript file should not disturb
the environment into which it is placed.

The specification for Encapsulated PostScript files allows for an
optional preview component of the file, to accommodate weak display
systems that cannot execute the PostScript code directly. This preview
component is usually a bit map in a format appropriate to the native
environment n which the document was created (it may be a Macintosh
PICT resource, for example). The preview component of an Encapsulated
PostScript file is strictly optional and is in now way connected to
the PostScript code, except that it is supposed to represent the same
picture.
-----------

The quote above is what I found in my handy-dandy library. I looked
EPSF up first in my trusty (ahem) MacDraw Pro manual. Their explanation
emphasized the preview capabilities (i.e., the PICT portion) but didn't
mention the self-contained aspect. The Word manual was even less
loquacious, at which point I turned to Mr. Reid.

My questions are:

Does anyone know what makes EPSF "encapsulated"? Is it special operators,
different commands, the environment in which it is created?

Does anyone know of a good book on PS for non-programmers? _Thinking
in PostScript_ is programming-oriented--its examples and explanations
relate to various programming languages and since I know nothing about
programming languages, I'm in the dark.

Thanks

Tracey Showalter Systems & Computer Technology
Sr. Technical Writer 4 Country View Road
tshowalt -at- sctcorp -dot- com Malvern, Pennsylvania 19355