Re: English for Asian readers

Subject: Re: English for Asian readers
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 11:54:49 -0800

eLen Olszewski said:
> They do *not* like big books. This is a practical consideration, since
> the amount of office space they generally have is limited, and the
> 8-1/2x11 books we produce just don't fit on their shelves.

Also, don't forget that they use international paper sizes in Japan,
so 8-1/2x11 isn't a size. I never thought about this, but it's true--
the Japanese manuals I have seen were all smaller--about the size of
a trade paperback, maybe a little shorter.

> They do not like books with a lot of white-space. In fact, the denser,
> the better. Text-density is desirable feature. Keeps the books small.
> Doesn't look like you're wasting space.

This largely has to do w/ the way that Japanese is written. Japanese
books are not written w/ lots of white space. And it's all fixed font
size, too. Visually, Japanese books look all mushed up together, but
they don't feel that way when you read them.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com