[no subject]

From: Dave Venzke <dven -at- CLEO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 1994 09:18:00 EST

Steve Hollander <holland -at- cvax -dot- ipfw -dot- indiana -dot- edu> writes:
>I do, however, have one pet contractor peeve: More than once, I've been
>invited to submit a detailed proposal for a documentation job, only to find
>that the work has NOT been contracted out--instead, employees (often
>secretaries and engineers!) have been given a copy of my proposal and have
>been told to follow the documentation plan I developed in preparing the
>proposal. In one case, I spent nearly a week reviewing source material and
>interviewing developers and prospective users. The resultant proposal
>contained an elaborate outline of a full documentation set, sample formats,
>and a list of sneaky tricks (or Great Ideas) I was prepared to deliver on.
>My 6 days' work was given to a pair of secretaries to "implement."

>Other than the obvious "Don't deal again with anybody so unethical," does
>any of you people have any suggestions for handling such occurrences?

Have you tried invoicing such clients for the "Planning/Design/Consulting"
services that you've provided? I've heard other contract writers claim
that they can get compensated for their prep time by demanding payment for
same.

Just a thought...

Dave Venzke | All opinions expressed here are solely my
CLEO Communications | own. Any resemblance to opinions held by
3796 Plaza Drive | my employer is purely coincidental.
Ann Arbor MI 48108 |
(313) 662-2002, ext. 132 | Address: dven -at- cleo -dot- com