Re: Across Cultures

Subject: Re: Across Cultures
From: lpraderio -at- CLIFF -dot- WHOI -dot- EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 15:14:37 EST

Do you have any stories or examples from personal
experience of communication being hindered or
confused because the persons involved were from
different cultures?

Oh, please let me have a copy of your paper when done. I'd be very interested
in your thoughts on the topic also. Thanks. Laura

*********
Yes, I do. As a science editor, I frequently deal with people who are from
different cultures. Soometimes their cultures don't let them admit a deficit
and don't let them ask questions. This can be difficult when you have to help
and the exchange is limited.

My example is this. I'm requested by a Ph.D student (and his advisor) to edit
his thesis. Upon our first meeting, I realize he has poor verbal and written
English skills, but a phenomenal amount of determination; I decide that the
editing and teaching him composition skills (not rewriting) can be done in the
one- to two-month timeframe but with considerable effort on both our parts. I
agree to help him with his thesis (I enjoy the work anyways).

Because, I believe, of his culture (I can tell it to you if you really want to
know, but that doesn't seem so important), he doesn't ask questions and out of
politeness doesn't tell me when he can't understand my edits and doesn't use
them. This I gather during the first meeting. I know that if this continues,
nothing, and I mean nothing, significant can come of our collaboration.

First I am confused because he came seeking my help. I realize that I need to
find out about his culture so I ask a friend who has lived in the student's
native country. She tells me that he won't ask questions and won't admit to
not understanding something. AND, if I ask him if he has any questions and
doesn't understand, I am deeply offending him.

So, I decide that I need to create a safe, private environment for this person
to open up and feel as though he can ask questions. First, I state
emphatically, many, many times, that no one will hear of our work together.
That the comments between us are only between us, even if his advisor calls and
asks me for specifics, I will only update him on progress, no specifics. (Save
person embarassment.) Secondly, I state emphatically and ad nauseum that he
can ask any questions and none are silly. I relate to him that I may ask him
silly questions in my editing and I ask for his patience and understanding AND
that he please point out my digression so that I will know and we can work
faster. He latches onto this behavior and then himself feels more comfortable
in asking questions. Also, I learn to read his signals. In other words, I go
back and talk to the native English-speaker about her experiences in the
student's country, the body signals I may have to interprete, etc. For
example, when I strongly ask the student if he understands something, he will
always nod yes (cultural). But, I can the tightening of a few facial muscles,
very subtle, gone in an instant. So, I know that he does not understand this
and I explain it again. After a while, I don't ask if he understands it
because when he does, there is such relief on his face that I wait and explain
and explain in different ways until I see that response.

The bottom line is that the student learned how to compose, quite well, in a
second language; was quite proud of his skills, justifiable so because they
were good and he worked so hard; and we developed a good working relationship
given our cultures (we even discussed cultural and scholastic deficits in our
own training and in our respective countries). What I am most proud of was
that by the third to fourth meeting (we had four to five per week for almost 6
weeks), he would openly ask questions and when I explained something and he
didn't understand he would sigh slightly, groan a little, and say no, almost
inaudibly. BUT, he was comfortable enough to realize he could do this.

So, he finished his defense on time, had only minor corrections, graduated, and
feels a very competent composer in English, which he is, which he will now
benefit from greatly in his job back in his own country.

Finally, I still receive beautiful Christmas cards and have been invited to
visit with he, his wife, and kids in Japan (trully an honor, which I
understand). My advice to people dealing cross-culturally: talk to someone
experienced and sensitive about the culture and expected behaviors of a person,
create a save working environment, and put a pleasant face and kind word in all
your actions because these authors are skittish as hell behind their facades.

Laura Praderio
Technical Writer/Editor
Woods Hole Oceanographic Instiution
lpraderio -at- whoie -dot- edu

The examples can be verbal, written, or nonverbal.

Different cultures can be either domestic (persons
of different races in the same country trying to
communicate) or international.

You may reply to me or to the list. My address is
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com

BTW, I'm preparing for a class in Cross-Cultural
Communication.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com