Re: Across Cultures

Subject: Re: Across Cultures
From: Paul David Marvel <marvel -at- BRAHMS -dot- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 1994 14:56:18 -0500

I cooked dinner for a Japanese woman one evening. During the meal, she
asked if there was any bread. I brought out a loaf, sliced off a piece, and
gave it to her. She proceeded to eat the rest of the baguette. She also
proceeded to avoid me for a long time.

It turned out that, in her region, when a guest requests something they
are obligated to receive whatever the host serves. By bringing out the
entire loaf, I was either saying that she should not have asked for the
bread or I was calling her a glutton. We laughed about it later and
learned a little about the other's culture.

Paul D. Marvel
marvel -at- brahms -dot- udel -dot- edu