Re: Indexing glossary entries?

Subject: Re: Indexing glossary entries?
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 10:42:00 EST

Jim Grey, asking about indexing glossary items: (my answers are indented)

1. What do you think?
I agree -- I always try to index my glossaries for just that reason.

2. If you like the idea, how would you implement it? Our glossaries are
always Appendix A, and appendices are letter-number pages (A1, A2, ...).
We use only plain text numbers (no bold, italics, etc.) in our index
entries.

Idea a) Use bold text to indicate "glossary":

Trunk Group, 17, <A10>
in Circuit Order Item view, 57
in DIF to TAN Report, 103, 104
in Trunk Group Report, 94, 96
in Trunk Group view, 64

Idea b) Make a "defined" entry to indicate "glossary":

Trunk Group, 17
defined, A10
in Circuit Order Item view, 57
in DIF to TAN Report, 103, 104
in Trunk Group Report, 94, 96
in Trunk Group view, 64

It's a toss-up. I prefer option B, because it's more explicit, but
there are those who may think it's too wordy. If you're going to use
bold on the numbers, you need to indicate somewhere that that's what
you're doing. You can run that info in the index footer, or include a
sidebar on alternate pages (one sidebar per spread). What I've found
doesn't work is noting onyl at the beginning of the index -- most
people don't look there for a key.

Hope that helps.

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer |
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | Never tell people how to
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | do things. Tell them
President, San Diego STC | what to do and they will
| surprise you with their
NOTE: apparently my email address needs | ingenuity.
to be typed exactly as it appears here, |
punctuation and all, or the system gets | --George Patton
upset. |