Re: science writing career info wanted

Subject: Re: science writing career info wanted
From: Kathleen Nosbisch <kat -at- NETWISE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 13:49:53 MST

Andrew English wrote:

> I am trying to get a start in
> technical/scientific writing. I would
> appreciate any advice any of you out
> there might have to offer.

> I am primarily interested in a fulltime
> position helping to write, edit, and
> design technical or scientific oriented
> magazine or newsletter for a company or
> public research institution (I am not
> particular about the field as long as it
> is science or technology related and does
> not required specialized training to
> write about it). I am not interested in
> writing software documentation.
> ...(more text deleted)

I would recommend contacting science-related places that hire tech
writers, such as Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Labs in Livermore, CA,
Sandia Nat'l Lab in Albuquerque, NM, Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, and
possibly White Sands Missle Range in New Mexico.

My brother has worked as a writer at all these places (except Los
Alamos), and ALL he did was science writing. I would think your
physics background would help get you a job at one of these places.

I'd be happy to provide you with his email address if you're
interested in asking him how he got started at each of these places.
I'm sure he'd be glad to give you some suggestions.

kat

Kathleen Nosbisch Netwise, Inc.
Technical Writer 2477 55th Street
kat -at- netwise -dot- com Boulder, Colorado 80301