Re: Dictionaries

Subject: Re: Dictionaries
From: Jim Venis <ujv01 -at- MAILHOST -dot- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 08:04:35 CST

> My dic. is Webster's Ninth New Collegiate.

> What do others consider the standard to be? What is
> taught as the standard to Tech. Comm. students?

> LaVonna
> lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com

I use (Merriam) Webster's 9th also, but sometimes I'm not crazy about it.
I like that the lexicographers have started putting dates on the entries
to show a word's first use in English, but I don't like that definitions
under each word are
sorted in order from oldest to most recent. It would be more useful to
me if they were sorted in order of most prevalent or most widely understood
(as of date of
publication) to least prevalent. --Jim Venis ujv01 -at- unidata -dot- com Denver,
Colo.