Re: GUI Terminology (was Re: Re[2]: Key-whacking)

Subject: Re: GUI Terminology (was Re: Re[2]: Key-whacking)
From: Susan Gallagher <Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 10:26:00 EST

Andrew Shires answered my last message with:

>I would say "selection" is the complete act of making a choice. This
>may involve keypresses or mouse gestures, but in the end, you have
>_selected_ something. If I remember rightly, the style guides* for
>Windows and Motif both use the word "select" in that way. Moving the
>focus is just a part of that action.

Interesting, since Microsoft (in its infinite wisdom)
consistently uses "choose" in its documentation, both for
menu items (choose open from the file menu) and for buttons
(choose the ok button). They do, however, "press" keys
(albeit infrequently). %-)

Sue Gallagher |
Sr. Technical Writer | "Updating a manual
Easel Corporation | is like changing tires
Enfin Technology Lab | on a moving car."
San Diego, CA | -- Edmond Weiss
Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com |

Previous by Author: Re[2]: homophones
Next by Author: STC-SV Chapter Meeting - January
Previous by Thread: GUI Terminology (was Re: Re[2]: Key-whacking)
Next by Thread: Re: Dictionaries

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads