Re: Generic Computer Term

Subject: Re: Generic Computer Term
From: Judith Grobe Sachs <Judith -dot- Grobe -dot- Sachs -at- UIC -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 15:08:55 CST

On Thu, 27 Jan 1994 13:48:00 EST Dave Venzke said:

>Whenever I describe the product that my employer manufacturers,
>which runs of DOS PCs as well as workstations that run UNIX and
>some of its many variations, I use the term "desktop computer."
>To my thinking, this term includes any computer that is small
>enough to reside on a desktop (Macs, PCs, workstations, etc.).

Yes, I use that too, but what about smaller machines like laptops
and notebooks? I feel awkward about applying "desktop" to them.
(I know that's picky, but as I always tell people around here when
they accuse me of it, being picky is a requirement for this job.)

Judith Grobe Sachs Telephone - (312)996-3758
Computer Center, University of Illinois at Chicago FAX - (312)996-6834
Bitnet: U11371 -at- UICVM Internet: Judith -dot- Grobe -dot- Sachs -at- uic -dot- edu