Coining Terms

Subject: Coining Terms
From: Jerry Blackerby <exujbl -at- EXU -dot- ERICSSON -dot- SE>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 13:00:53 -0600

Hi,

How about coining terms at the first usage?

Traditionally, we have always coined abbreviations and acronyms
at the first usage in a document. Many documents also include
a list of abbreviations and acronyms.

In today's world, especially with the growing use of electronic
documentation, a user may not see the term when it is coined.
If a document is electronic, the user can jump to the desired
place and not see the coined term.

Even in a paper procedural document, a user may be directed
to some other location in the document and skip over the
coined term. Then when the user reads the term would not know
what it meant unless they look it up in a list.

I think we need to limit the use of abbreviations and acronyms,
but they are needed. I am beginning to think that we should
only include a list of abbreviations and acronyms and not coin
the terms at first usage.

What is your opinion?

Jerry

\\ //
\\//
/OO\
\></ _
__/__\__ Jerry Blackerby _| ~~. Practice random kindness
(________) 214-907-7810 (w) \, _} and senseless acts of
[____]