Re: Word Choice

Subject: Re: Word Choice
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 1994 15:00:35 PST

Greetings-

If expense is "something expended to secure a benefit or bring
about a result," "expensive" is all right for "resource-intensive."
There is no reference to money - no problem.

I think I'd prefer "costly." I would introduce it as "costly in
resources" in each chapter. I would not hesitate to compare the
"cost of X and Y," or state that "Z is the least costly choice,"
although I wouldn't extend it to "cheapest."

It's simple, but I'm sure it's too much for some of you.

-Fred
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 526-3292 FAX: (408) 526-3055
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 3131 Zanker Road / San Jose CA 95134