Re: Tracking Hypertext Links

Subject: Re: Tracking Hypertext Links
From: "Linda H. Schoenhoff" <lhs -at- LEAF3 -dot- SAC -dot- UNIFY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 09:41:56 PDT

> What methods do you use to keep track of the hypertext links in your MS
> Windows on-line help files?

> (stuff deleted)

I've been looking for an answer to this question for some time myself.
I have manually created a tracking table to note things like topic
title, context string, # define, keywords, file name, and significant
dates. This is some trouble to maintain but I need to be able to
refer to this information and find its usefulness worth the effort.

I don't keep track of individual links to other help topics because
I could never figure out a good way to do this. Now I use RoboHelp
and find it's not necessary to record these links myself anyway,
because Robohelp finds any links that I change or delete and takes
me to the right place in the files.

I find RoboHelp automatically takes care of many things that used to
be tedious and/or difficult. If you're not using it, you might want
to check it out.

Linda Schoenhoff
lhs -at- unify -dot- com >