Magical "Appears"

Subject: Magical "Appears"
From: Kathleen Nosbisch <kat -at- NETWISE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 15:27:14 MST

To those who were discussing the word "appears" in your documentation
for something the computer does, I have a question.

In the mainframe (MVS) world, a file/member is located within a
particular data set (like a directory on unix/dos).

How do you say where the member is located?

Our engineers here like to say the following:

The XXXXX member appears withing the YYYYY data set.

I have a problem with the "appears." In my mind, the member doesn't
"appear" there - it *IS* there.

How do you handle this wording?

Thanks for any suggestions!

kat

Kathleen Nosbisch Netwise, Inc.
Technical Writer 2477 55th Street
kat -at- netwise -dot- com Boulder, Colorado 80301