Re: Magical "Appears"

Subject: Re: Magical "Appears"
From: Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 14:59:00 EST

Kathleen Nosbisch writes:

>In the mainframe (MVS) world, a file/member is located within a
>particular data set (like a directory on unix/dos).

>How do you say where the member is located?

>Our engineers here like to say the following:

>The XXXXX member appears withing the YYYYY data set.

>I have a problem with the "appears." In my mind, the member doesn't
>"appear" there - it *IS* there.

Well, on planet DOS/UNIX, we say "the xxx file is in the yyy
directory" or "...is located in the yyy directory".

Maybe you could say that "the xxx member is in the yyy data
set".

I agree that "appears" seems mystical. Maybe their
objection is that the yyy data set is not a container thing
or that the physical storage of xxx is disassociated???

In that case, how 'bout ,"the xxx member is listed in the
yyy data set"?

BTW, I thing that's withink ;^)

Sue Gallagher |
Sr. Technical Writer | "Updating a manual
Easel Corporation | is like changing tires
Enfin Technology Lab | on a moving car."
San Diego, CA | -- Edmond Weiss
Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com |