Re: Want Ads

Subject: Re: Want Ads
From: Sue Stewart <suepstewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 10:40:18 EST

I don't intend to defend the practice of a typing speed requirement in a want
ad, but it may not be as much of a "red flag" as you think, especially if the
position is with a large company. I've hired at an enormous corporation, and
to request an ad I had to fill out a form which specified every requirement
of the job. If I wanted someone keyboard-literate (which had to be part of
the job skills to justify the capital equipment [computer] on the desk), I
had to check the "typing" box, although I never put in a speed.

After a few years, I did convince HR to let me write my own ads, and the
"typing" requirement went out the window. But many companies' ads are
written from those unadaptable forms, and the HR person assembling the ad may
put in "60 wpm" as a matter of habit.

So, if the rest of the ad attracts you, take the chance; you're out a 29-cent
stamp, and you can discuss the typing issue when the HR dept calls to
phone-screen (of course, your resume is so brilliant you're bound to get a
call! ;-) ).

Sue Stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com