Re: Reference/Style manual

Subject: Re: Reference/Style manual
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 1994 09:09:40 -0500

I claim there ain't no such beast as Janet Foltz's dreamed-of "Do-All-And-
End-All Style Guide (tm)".

I have a number of writing references on my shelf:

o Warriner's English Grammar and Composition, Complete Course
I use this guy more than anything else. It's copyrighted 1957!
There are more recent versions; they're all basically the same. This
was my mom's in high school; she was apparently dating someone named
Ricky then, because his name and little hearts are pencilled in the
margins.
o The Beacon Handbook, by Robert Perrin, a professor at Indiana State
University here in Terre Haute. Tries to be a modern-day Warriner, but
is too liberal for my taste. It was free; what the hey. It has also
once or twice been the only source for an answer.
o The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage. Part of the 3-free-books
deal from the Quality Paperback Club.
o The Elements of Style / The Elements of Grammar / The Elements of
Editing. Counted as 1 book in the QPB freebie deal.
o Writing Better Computer User Documentation v2.0, by John Brockmann.
The first version was the text in my one (1) tech writing class I took
in college; I liked it so much I bought the next version when it came
out.

I also used to have this book called something like The Gregg Secretary's
Reference, which listed all kinds of typing conventions and corporate
usage conventions and such. I lent it to someone, I forget who, and now
it's gone. That book, when I got it, answered a long-burning question in
the department about whether to use a comma after the company's Inc. in
a sentence. "X, Inc., reserves... or X, Inc. reserves... -- turns out
because there's a comma after X, one's needed after Inc. When a company
uses no comma after X, none is needed after Inc. *Nowhere* else have I
seen anything like that.

So I am always looking for another reference that tells me something more
than the references already on my shelf. I especially like it when multiple
sources have slightly-out-of-phase opinions, because then I'm free to do
it the way I like best! :)

I looked, by the way, and none of my references say anything about
annotated bibliographies, either. Lots about bibliographies in general,
but nary a word about the annotated variety. Wouldn't know one if I hit
one with my car.

jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |lonniemackandtwangandeddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta
GO/M d p+ c++(-) l u+ e- m*@ s+/ n+ h f++ g- w+@ t+ r- y+(*)
Terre Haute, IN -- The Silicon Cornfield