You say tomatoe, I say tomahto ("closure")

Subject: You say tomatoe, I say tomahto ("closure")
From: Randy Allen Harris <raha -at- WATARTS -dot- UWATERLOO -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 14:29:39 -0500

To which Sue Stewart said:

>I thought the parliamentary term was "cloture"? Although I would feel that
>except for that small query, Randy Allen Harris probably has the right of it

To which I now say:

"Cloture" is the term from the French Assembly; may be the common term in
the U.S. (though I don't have the slightest idea); and was a sort of snooty
synonym of "closure" in Britain up until the 19th century. But in Canada,
and in Britain, from which we borrowed it, the standard term for slamming
closed debate in Parliament is "closure".

Randy Allen Harris
raha -at- watarts -dot- uwaterloo -dot- ca

Rhetoric and Professional Writing, Department of English, University of
Waterloo, Waterloo ON N2L 3G1, CANADA; 519 885-1211, x5362; FAX: 519 884-8995