Reply to: How much do you have to know?

Subject: Reply to: How much do you have to know?
From: Tammy Williams <Tammy_Williams -at- OCLC -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 15:29:48 -0400

CEO comments:
From: Tammy Williams:CEO
Date: ## 03/03/94 15:27 ##
I agree with Steve. You need to KNOW what you're writing about. I
think a technical writer should know enough about her subject to
teach it to the user. If you think about it, a lot of us are
instructors. We are the writers of do-it-yourself documents. Yes,
we write other information, but the bulk of what most technical
writers write is how to information.
Getting back to the original subject--a technical writer has to
know her information. A journalist can get away with
understanding information, but that understanding does not have to be
as deep as the knowledge a technical writer has to have. I'm not
saying that a journalist CAN'T be a technical writer. I am living
proof that a journalist can make the transistion. The key is that
there is a transition.
Tammy Williams
williams -at- oclc -dot- org

Preceeding Message: