Aside: Teaching Tech Writing

Subject: Aside: Teaching Tech Writing
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 13:11:55 CST

Andreas Ramos writes
|} On an aside, it strikes me as curious that there are now classes in
|} becoming a techwriter. I guess this is like classes in becoming a
|} novelist. How would one teach fascination with technology or skill at
|} writing (i.e. be able to talk about something very complicated
|} in a down-to-earth way)?

I would suppose that the teaching of technical writing at the college
level is much like teaching any other topic. You take a group of people
with a predisposition towards the profession (I don't know about anyone
else, but I _chose_ my major) and then you refine and hone the skills
and educate the talent.

I can't say that Dr. Judith Kaufman of Eastern Washington University made
me a technical writer, but I know for certain that she made me a better
one.

Cheers,
/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "Read over your compositions and, when you
meet a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out"
-- Samuel Johnson