Re: Texts for Manuals Writing Course

Subject: Re: Texts for Manuals Writing Course
From: belville -at- MIT -dot- EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 13:29:46 -0500

I'd like to second Dick's recommendation. It's chock full of practicals.
Topics include types of computer documentation, audience, needs assessments,
doc plans, getting information, organizing info, avoiding liability, style and
grammar, style guides, role of editors, tech graphics and page design,
testing, indexing, and on-line doc.

Lots of good in-class exercises as well as good reference material for the
real world.

Published by Prentice Hall. I don't think KW has e-mail, at least, not on
lynx.

Sharon Belville
belville -at- mit -dot- edu

------- Forwarded transaction

Michael Gos recently asked for references to good texts for use in teaching a
Techncal Writing course. I just completed a course and we used a brand new
text.

The text is:

"Writing for the Computer Industry" by Kristen Woolever of Northeastern
University.

I suspect you can reach Kristen via e-mail but I don't know her account name.
If it follows the pattern of the account name Northeastern assigned to me it
would be:

krwoolever -at- lynx -dot- neu -dot- edu

Good luck with the course.

Dick Harris
usrhr -at- bedford -dot- millipore -dot- com
--[5762]--

------- End forwarded transaction