People do read this stuff

Subject: People do read this stuff
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 10:46:43 EST

It suddenly occurred to me that the office I work in is full
of books on how to use your software. People buy these books,
often with their own money, and presumably are reading them.
(You might buy one and not read it, but you wouldn't keep
spending the money if you realized that they were gathering
dust.) These third-party books may be signs that the documentation
that comes with the software is poorly written or addressed to
the wrong audience, they may be signs that not enough copies of
the documentation are shipped (if you have a site license and
one copy of the manual, you can have problems), or they may
mean people are pirating software--probably some of all three--
but they certainly indicate that people read documentation.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY